Dania Society has an opening for a Full Time Maintenance Worker
The Maintenance Worker will be responsible for maintenance and repair work of the Dania Society buildings, including offices, residences, facility grounds and any work deemed necessary to maintain the facility in good standing. Being a maintenance worker requires light trouble shooting abilities for a variety of different types of machinery and equipment like HVAC, electrical, plumbing, repairs and painting. Occasionally janitorial and garden/lawn maintenance may be required. The job requires both indoor and outdoor work, and sometimes may be required to assist with some heavy loads. The worker must prioritize their workload and work in a proactive manner with the Societies’ leadership team.
1. Performs a variety of maintenance, troubleshooting and repair duties such as identifying nature of malfunction of equipment and systems and calling appropriate contractor(s);
2. Schedules, facilitates and/or oversees contractor fulfillment of preventative maintenance contracts and major repairs;
3. Reviews with contractors any work that has been completed, ensuring work order is correct in the work carried out, and the labour hours are correct before signing off;
4. Assists leadership team tracking and follow through of approved contractor PO work orders;
5. Performs minor plumbing, electrical, drywall, painting and carpentry repairs as required;
6. Performs plumbing maintenance and repair to include duties such as unblocking sewer lines, replacing fixtures such as flush tanks, sinks and toilets; repairs plumbing fixtures such as water supply lines and waste lines;
7. Monitors fire protection systems and remote alarm monitoring equipment;
8. Tests, operates and inspects all related fire safety equipment monthly;
9. Participates in and documents monthly fire drills and assists staff evaluation and training of fire response;
10. Assists contracted fire protection company with annual inspection of facilities;
11. Ensures fire protection inspection contractor deficiency repairs are completed in a timely manner;
12. Tests and documents emergency generator function, arranges repairs if required;
13. Monitors and records facility boiler, electrical, HVAC and plumbing systems;
14. Does site painting as assigned;
15. Does special events set up/take down;
16. Sources and procures with PO issuance of maintenance supplies, tools and sundries;
17. Provides feedback and suggestions to leadership team regarding facility and property upgrades and future capital expense projects;
18. Maintains all workshop and storage areas in a clean, safe, inspection ready state;
19. Assists residents with all requests for help or assistance, i.e., moving furniture, repairs of personal items, etc. as time, practicality and liability allow;
20. Repairs items such as tables, cupboards, shelves, walls, doors, floors, ceilings and windows;
21. Assesses problems with heavy duty equipment such as washers, dryers and refrigerators and notifies the supervisor of any problems;
22. Supervises the on-site contracted maintenance person(s) from external contractors, as required;
23. Performs daily walk around of site, ensures safety and security of grounds and buildings are paramount;
24. Looks for infestations of rodents and bugs in and the around the buildings, calls exterminator as needed;
25. Maintains areas such as garbage area, parking lot and sidewalks by methods such as sweeping and pressure washing; clears snow and ice from parking lot, walkways and building entrances by methods such as shovelling & snow blower as required, which may involve the help of a snow removal contractor during the winter;
26. Ensures maintenance supplies are readily available to carry out all tasks and order accordingly;
27. Attends meetings including staff meetings, in-service and continuing education programs and approved work related conferences and seminars as required;
28. Maintains a clean and tidy environment by performing duties such as sweeping floors, cleaning counters, machines and equipment; removes garbage as required;
29. Ensures input airflow vents are free of debris like leaves and other debris;
30. Exhaust fans are to be checked and cleaned as necessary;
31. Performs a security walk around at the end of each shift, in particular, checks that all outside doors and windows are secured; and
32. Performs other related duties as assigned.
· High School Diploma plus 2 years of related experience in all aspects of residential/commercial maintenance and/or renovation, or completion of Grade 10 plus a minimum of 5 years of residential/commercial maintenance and/or renovation.
· Ability to operate related equipment such as power and gasoline activated tools, all common power, hand and shop tools, pneumatic tools, man lifts, and fall protection.
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer experience including Microsoft Office an asset.
· Ability to deal with others effectively.
· Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
· Ability to organize work.
· Valid BC Driver’s License.
· Pass a mandatory criminal/security background.
On a daily basis, the worker must be able to stand, lift, bend, stoop, kneel, squat, climb ladders, use stairwells, operate self-powered equipment, carry up to 9.1 kg (20 lbs), lift up to 30 kg (65 lbs), and push/pull objects of 23 kg (50 lbs). Look over both shoulders, use both arms at full length, work with arms above the shoulders, use vibrating tools, have full use of both hands, work in a hot environment, and walk 90 meters (295 feet) or longer distances on even surfaces.
Health and Safety Risks of Work Environment
Physical: Strain on shoulder, neck & back, eye strain, cuts & scrapes, electrical shock.
Environmental: Dust exposure, working alone, exposure to varying temperatures.
Chemical: Chemical exposure.
Biological: Potential exposure to communicable diseases, e.g., colds, influenza, GI
Fair compensation TBD.
Please check back as new positions are posted weekly.
Dania is one of a few care facilities in Canada to have earned Accreditation with Exemplary Standing from Accreditation Canada for 2018 - 2022. Accreditation Canada certifies that Dania and its contractors meet the national standards of quality for health services set by the Council.
Copyright © Dania Home. All Rights Reserved.